Question and Answers about Candle and Soap Silicone Mold Care

by dawnaurora on February 20, 2010

minicrowtprAre you like me and have a love for silicone molds?  I enjoy their flexibility and the ability to capture a lot of detail.  It makes candle making with primitive style easier.

But as you also know silicone molds come with a price tag.  Because they aren’t cheap, you want to take extra special care of them.

Here are some questions that customers have asked.

Why does one side of my silicone mold look  caved in and the candle comes out lopsided?

• The silicone mold is warped.  Unfortunately when this happens you cannot “unwarp” the mold.  To prevent the mold from warping don’t pile silicone molds on top of each other or pack them tightly in a drawer or shelf.  They need space to keep their shape.  Also, if  you are not going to use the mold for awhile pour wax inside the mold to help it keep its shape.

My mold feels sticky.  I keep it in the basement where I make candles and soaps.  What is going on?

• The silicone mold does not like humidity.  It starts to break down prematurely.  Keep you silicone mold in a cool dry area

What can I do to clean my silicone mold?

• You can wash your mold in lukewarm water and with dish soap.  This will help clear up some of the fragrances that are in your mold due to previous pours.  Dry your silicone mold well.  Do not store wet.

When I pour white wax into my mold the color on the surface of the mold gets into the wax.  How can I clean the color out of the mold?

• I have cleaned the mold with soap and lukewarm water and still poured “white” wax into it and my candle would still come out colored.  What I did then was poured non- colored hot candle wax into the mold 2 -3 times until the wax itself cleaned up all the color.  That did the trick for me.

Sometimes I get pour lines in my candles when I pour in the molds.  How do I prevent pour lines?

• You can heat up your silicone mold in the oven to 200-250 degrees.  Make sure you leave the oven door open.  Here is a quick video that I did on how to warm up a silicone mold.

Is there a way to repair a silicone mold after it tears?

• Yes, there is.  Depending on the tear you can seal the edges together with silicone.  Silicone adheres to silicone.  I do offer a free service for a silicone in need of repair just email me at frenchhillcountry@hotmail.com .

If you have any more questions about silicone molds, leave your question below.  I would enjoy answering any that you may have.

Many Blessings,

Dawn

Other Candle and Soap Silicone Mold Questions

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

dawnaurora June 8, 2013 at 2:08 am

Hey Joanie,
And about your wick.
I primed my wick before I pushed it through the hole. Because it was primed it was sturdy enough to go through.
Warmly,
Dawn

dawnaurora June 8, 2013 at 2:06 am

Hi Joanie,
Yes packaging is key. I only liked to mail out my candles (when I made them) in the cooler months. I didn’t mail any in the summer hot months. They never went to the customer the way they should.
Hope this helps
Warmly,
Dawn

Joanie June 6, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I have another question for you. Do you send your candles through the mail? Do you worry about them melting before they reach their destination? How do you package them to make sure they stay nice. I make pies and ice cream sundaes but I worry about shipping them all the time.

Joanie June 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

My question deals with wicking candles. Once you drill a hole in wax how do you get the wick through it? I have tried several methods but I’m still now successful. Help please.

dawnaurora March 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Hi Carol,
Do you know what is causing the chalky powder? I have had like a layer of something on one of mine. All I did was pour left over hot wax ( I made candles) inside the mold. The flaky stuff I had stuck fast to the wax so when you took it out the mold was clean.
I even do this to get scent out and color out of my mold if necessary
Let me know how this works for you.
Warmly,
Dawn

CAROL DONOGHUE March 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Hi Dawn i was wondering if you knew how to get the chalky powder of my silicone molds after washing. I hope you can help thanks in advance Carol x x

dawnaurora February 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hi Martha,
So glad you made it here.
Before I started making molds myself , I had purchased them off a lady and I worked with them like they were glass. I went back to the maker to see how to clean them up and she went out of business.
So, through my own trial and error this is what I came up with. =) Trial and error gets so expensive that if I can help you keep your mold around a lot longer I definitely will. =)
Dawn

Martha M. Queris February 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thank you so much for your information in how to clean my silicone mold. I did CP soap three days ago and when I removed the soap it has some whitish stains and small pieces of soap.